Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cholesterol Medication...Seriously?

So as you know, I started this personal blog to detail my new healthy vegan life-style because the doctor informed me yesterday that my risk for heart disease is now very high because of my cholesterol numbers. What I didn't tell you is that she also wants to put me on cholesterol medication.

Seriously?? I'm only 45!

Talk about a kick in the pants! Not to mention that stuff isn't cheap by a long shot. I went to the pharmacy to pick it up today and nearly dropped my jaw (or maybe I actually did!) We're talking $84 a month out of pocket! Honestly, it might as well be $840 because that is an extra financial burden we don't need right now.

I don't know if eating a vegan diet (rich in leafy greens, flaxseed, fruits, and nuts) will get my cholesterol numbers where they need to be but it's worth a try and will certainly be less expensive than paying for extra medication every month.

My first day eating vegan wasn't bad...although I did (do) find myself craving cheese. :/

mouse_on_cheese

However, I have been drinking more water and eating more fruits and veggies so that's gotta be a good thing. I don't know. The last two days has been a kind of "wake up" call I guess (although you would think the "Syndrome X" chest pain from three years ago would have been stronger but oh well). Cholesterol is what got me on the road to change. I heard recently that sometimes it's better to make this kind of a lifestyle change suddenly rather than gradually. A kind of "just do it" mentality where you go cold-turkey and hopefully never look back.

We shall see.

***********************************

Here is a little something fun for this Harvest season. I received it in my email newsletter from VegNews. Yes, I know it's cookies but it looks delicious!

Pumpkin Cookies

Makes 36 cookies

What You Need:

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin purée
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup chocolate-covered raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts

What You Do:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, place flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg and stir well to combine.

2. In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugar. Add pumpkin purée, vanilla, and almond extract, and stir well to combine. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and combine thoroughly. Fold in the remaining ingredients.

3. Working in batches, drop the cookie dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them 3 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, flatten each tablespoonful to form a 2-inch circle. Bake for 8 minutes, rotate the cookie sheet's placement on the rack in the oven, and bake an additional 7 to 8 minutes or until they are lightly browned around the edges.

4. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat procedure for remaining dough. Store cooled cookies in an air-tight container. For an extra festive punch, frost cookies with your favorite colorful icing.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, going vegan will lower your cholesterol numbers, at least it did for me. I was borderline high before I went vegan and, despite it being a hereditary thing, my numbers dropped SIGNIFICANTLY after becoming vegan. So you won't need to be on those meds for long, girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna, that's very encouraging and good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cholesterol has been high for as long as I can remember. I worked hard to exercise and to loss weight over a 3 month period and the numbers changed by one point. It's totally a liver issues. I've never researched to see if I could lower the numbers somehow since I figured it was something I couldn't change with the liver issue. You've inspired me to research it. I'm on meds. They are super cheap so I don't deal with that angle, but I do hate to take meds if I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete