Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Journey Begins

"Your risk for heart disease has gone up significantly".

Those were the words I heard from my doctor this morning as she read my cholesterol numbers and risk factor for heart disease. Considering my HDL (good cholesterol) is 26 and my LDL (bad cholesterol) is 226...well, lets just say it's time for some changes.

For me that starts with eating healthy and losing weight....a lot of weight.

I was a vegetarian for years but in the last three or four have gone back to eating chicken, eggs, and dairy. However, I know the best diet (especially for a healthy heart) is one which abstains from all animal products. I know what Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. MacDougall have reported about the vegan diet and heart disease prevention (or reversal).

It's time to make a serious change if I want to live a healthy life and do everything I believe God has called me to do, enjoy my family, and appreciate this gift called life. I know myself, though. It's not going to be easy. So I've decided to create a place to track my journey.

Thoughts.

Triumphs.

Setbacks.

In the end, it's about learning to be healthy again and that's a good thing.

2010

********************************************************

If you want to learn more about what your cholesterol levels mean check out the American Heart Association.

4 comments:

  1. I'm here supporting you girl! I'm starting my own weight loss program November 1st. Exercise daily and cut back on my portions. Need to shed about 30 pounds. Ugh. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cutting back on the carbs and trying to eat more fruit and veggies. I am also trying to get more sleep. Getting enough sleep helps one to lose weight reducing the stress. Good for you Kristine mom's forget to take care of themselves first. I know I do. Yeah to getting healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you and inspired! I know we haven't talked lately, but I think of you often. I've had some struggles over the past year or so, and I've been slipping from my commitment to veganism (occasionally having dairy, and never good choices, but impulsive, emotional ones), though I have resolved to return to a healthier and more conscious lifestyle. So to hear that you, too, are "turning a new leaf" makes me joyful! Shine on, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary: Thanks, girlfriend! I appreciate your support and am giving it back to you. I know how hard losing even 30 LBS can be, but it's about being healthy and that's what matters. :)

    Lanet: Adding more fruits and veggies is so important isn't it? I'm a total carbs girl (it's my comfort food) so increasing whole foods is key. And yes...we do tend to forget to care for ourselves, don't we?

    Anna: Thank you, my beautiful friend :D I am sorry we haven't talked too and definitely want together. We can turn that 'new leaf' together!

    ReplyDelete